The United States military has significant responsibility to protect historical and cultural property during full spectrum operations. To meet this responsibility, CCHAG heritage experts are trained to operate at various levels in operational planning and deployment to recognize serious gaps between higher level initiatives for site protection and training of military personnel who will operate near, or occupy, historical and archeologically sensitive areas.
The following training aids are available to military personnel:
- A double-sided CPP Soldier Pocket Card that provides the most critical information on historical and cultural property protection and a mechanism for reporting problems while in the field;
- Six sets of CPP Field Cards which provide the right CPP information on a range of subjects to the right personnel and the right time in a handy format that can be easily tucked into a pocket during operations
- Sets of CPP Playing Cards that feature “top of mind” information about cultural property protection, host nation history and heritage and guidance on proper behavior when discovering or occupying an archeological site;
- Cultural Preservation Training Modules containing slides and scripts that can be presented in a variety of settings, by your personnel or ours; and
- Mock Cultural Resource Training Assets that are suitable for realistic in-theatre training scenarios; and guidance for ‘hardening’ archaeological sites that are present on military lands.
Proper use of CCHAG in-theater training aids promotes CPP awareness for military personnel who must operate near historical and cultural property sites in areas of military deployment around the world.
In addition to improved site preservation, CCHAG training aids provide an opportunity to increase public awareness of DOD’s strong conservation ethic. The cultural property specialists who create and test these training aids play a major role in discovering and preserving cultural properties on military lands in the United States and AORs around the world. These products provide consistent inclusion of accurate archeological and antiquities information in the cultural awareness training process.